Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Diagnostic Essay Revised Final

Andrew Morrison
Time and Time again
111-49
Dec. 2, 2009

As long as I live, I will always remember the day that I woke up with superpowers. It was a normal enough Monday morning, around four o’clock. When I did wake up again it was after ten and I suddenly realized that I had forgotten to set my alarm. Fearing the worst I jumped out of bed, got dressed, and ran outside in hopes to still make it to school. It took me almost ten minutes to remember that the school bus came hours earlier and my standing at the bus stop was not a good idea. I cursed my bad luck using the most hateful of swear words.
“Gosh darn it.” I repeated several times before wishing that time would just stop. And to my great surprise, it did. Nothing went black and white, the only way I was able to tell was when the wind stopped blowing and all the cars on the street suddenly stopped.
After coming to the final decision that school was not the place for someone with the ability to stop time, I unfroze time, (by simply telling it to unfreeze) and took to the streets to find bad guys. There was bound to be some somewhere. After several minutes of looking I finally found a guy who was threatening an ATM with a gun, he was clearly an evil genius. Not understanding why the ATM did not spill its contents he turned in a rage and found me standing right behind him.
“Make this here thing give up its money.” The man with the gun said to me, I noticed he had several teeth missing, his breath was horrendous.
“I am truly sorry good sir, but I cannot help you.” I said, for some reason trying to sound British.
“Then I’ll take a hostage.” The man grabbed a nearby trashcan, used primarily for people to throw their ATM receipts away.
“You’re really bad at this.” I muttered, not taking my eyes off of the gun, which looked as if it were just a toy.
He dropped the trashcan and started to make a run for it. I turned to chase him, finding the street behind us clogged with onlookers who had stopped to see the show. Cars were left empty on the street and a news crew was filming the entire thing.
“That’s why our streets never get finished.” I mumbled to myself before taking off after the running man. He ran very slowly, though nobody in the crowd stopped him, they simply moved aside to make room as he ran by.
“You will never catch me.” He screamed over his shoulder at me. He was right too, I ran out the door without eating, and I cannot catch criminals without my bran, no matter how slow they run.
The chase continued for several minutes, extending over three blocks, with the onlookers and news crew jogging right behind us. Finally I froze time, knowing I would never catch such an out of shape man. Once time was frozen and the man stopped I simply walked up to him turned him around, and went back to my original position.
It must have been strange to see for those watching. The man running away from me, then in a split second, he was turned around and running right into my arms. I caught him and walked him over to the police who had just arrived on the scene, each holding a coffee and a pair of hand cuffs.
The crowd cheered for me as the police put the cuffs on the devious criminal. “What’s your name?” some shouted to me. Not wanting to tell them my name, in fear there might be some super villain in the mix, I picked up a plastic bag that was on the ground and put it over my head, and then ran off to find the next criminal mastermind. After running head long into several trees, I took my bag off and ran into the sunset (the day was very short).
Overall, I think that this power, if used correctly, for the common good, would be very interesting to have. The possibilities are endless with what I could do, and eventually, the lasting effects on society, and my body. I could even become a superhero, saving the world every second of every day. I could be one place, then another, in only an instant. Nobody would even guess that I left where I was. The bad guys would not even want to do bad things when they know they can be stopped at any moment. I might even be able to keep it a secret from everybody, making them constantly think, wonder, if I really was a superhero.

1 comment:

  1. Your dialogue is very humorous and pokes fun at old comic book dialogue well. Overall it's a great revision and humorous throughout.

    Keep writing. Keep sharing.

    You've definitely got talent!

    ReplyDelete